Back in December 2021, it was announced that the FG plans to introduce a digital token to replace the 11-digit NIN number, and now the federal government has plans to implement it beginning January 2023.
The federal government, through the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), has introduced virtual National Identification Number (vNIN) tokens known as “Tokenization”.
Here is Everything You Should Know
1. The NIN Tokenisation is to protect people’s data privacy through the use of an encrypted, coded version of the NIN instead of the actual NIN which is used for everyday transactions.
The use of tokens instead of the actual NIN will eliminate or reduce incidences of illegal retrieval, usage, transfer, and storage of NIN, the NIMC DG noted.
2. The Tokenization will also enable people who have NIN and are entitled to the National e-ID card to get visual and high-security representations of the National e-ID on IOS and Android smartphones.
3. Tokenization is a set of digitally generated numbers (tokens) that NIN holders can generate anytime they need to identify themselves to service providers.
4. It is the encrypted, coded representation (disguised) version of the NIN and it’s officially known as Virtual NIN (vNIN).
So, when performing transactions that involve using NIN, you can provide the tokens instead of your actual 11-digit NIN.
This is to ensure that service providers or any other person do not retain your NIN or use it for activities that can put you at risk.
5. The Virtual NIN will expire 72 hours after it was generated. It consists of a 16-digit set of alphanumeric characters.
How it Works
You can use the Virtual NIN when you want to digitally verify your identity with a verifying agent or any enterprise that needs to confirm your identity before offering you service.
These include banks, airports, shopping delivery, etc.
The NIMC MWS Mobile ID app which is available on Google Play Store and Apple App Store will have a feature that will enable users to generate the Virtual NIN.
To have the token, you must get:
- National Identity Number (NIN) issued by NIMC
- The mobile phone registered in Nigeria and is linked to NIN
According to the NIMC DG, the full implementation of the Tokenization will commence Sunday, January 1, 2023.